Part 2....The Tempest

Colorado Storm heading towards Chatfield Reservoir

“And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through,
how you managed to survive.
You won’t even be sure, whether the storm is really over.
But one thing is certain.
When you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in.
That’s what this storm’s all about.”
- Haruki Murakami


Part 2....The Storm


For me, hurricane season is a never-ending cycle.

In the calm before the storm, I am lulled into the belief that my life is back on track. I'm moving forward, making progress towards getting “me” back. The constant, daily headaches are finally controlled through gabapentin while breakthrough migraines are put down by a new version of Midrin. While I will always have the deficits to my executive brain function, hearing and vision; I've learned to work-around them in a relatively effective manner. Basking in the promise of a revised future, I regain my annoyingly positive self.

FLASH: I am a lightning rod driven into the depths of a sand dune facing the shoreline, awaiting landfall of the next hurricane. Marooned, I am forced to endure the coming storm alone. Not because I don't have a support system, but because the very nature of the hurricane happens within me. The Observer of Kristy's life that resides inside my head watches the oncoming storm through the windows of my green eyes. 

Lightning strikes, wreaking havoc throughout the intricately wired electrical system of the master controller aka my brain. Some of the delicate wiring gets fried, others experience a power surge shorting out the line. New wiring may stay intact, yet the breaker gets flipped.

Driving high winds beat at me, tearing away any protection I had to endure the harsh elements intent on destroying me. As the wind gathers strength it pushes the sea onto shore in a storm surge that threatens to drown me in the watery depths. I scream in vain for help, but nobody can hear me. The Observer tells me to remain calm, you're an experienced warrior and survivor. You've done this before, you'll get through it again. 

I yearn to reach out for a hand to comfort me, but I am an immovable object. Animation is beyond me. Objects large and small fly around in the fury of the storm pelting my skin. I am left raw and bloody. The Observer continues watching Kristy cry for help, for someone to know she's stuck inside her head. The Observer wishes she could explain to someone the storm raging within Kristy. The only way either can survive the storm is to shutdown, turn on sleep mode and wait for the lull in the storm to recover. They both pray for the strength to survive.

After the storm, The Observer makes an ironic connection. There is no external force, like say...a hit and run driver crashing into Kristy and changing her life by rewiring her brain like in 2007. No. Kristy is not only the victim and survivor of this storm: she is actually the embodiment of the storm, Kristy is The Tempest.

<>

Opening my eyes, I'm acutely aware that once again; life will never be the same. An IV is attached to my left arm, it hurts and itches. I hear the steady beep, beep, beeping of the heart monitor. Looking at my chest I see wires attached all over leading to a monitor of some sort. I vaguely remember the Radiology guy explaining it at some point overnight. There's a steady pressure being applied to my legs that inflates and deflates rhythmically. Okay. Compression thingies, like after my hysterectomy. Hmm, these don't hurt....clearly I'm in the hospital. Last night wasn't a dream. Shit!

The memories of the night before float in and out of the fog in my brain. I need to pee. Catheter? Nope, that discomfort is gone. Thank God. <First time I was awake for insertion - can I just say...that fucking hurts, I don't recommend being conscious if you can at all...avoid it.> Rolling to my side I note a sign stating, “Fall Risk. Call nurse before attempting to get out of bed. Alrighty then. A tiny nurse comes in with a big, warm smile. I can't help, but smile in return. “I bet you need to pee huh?” Why yes, yes I do. When I try to speak it comes out like a drunk two year old. Hot tears roll down my cheeks. I nod in reply.

My once stable footing is gone yet again. I feel like I'm on the deck of a sailboat in a rough sea. Growing up I never had problems like this when Dad took us out sailing. Odd. I note my vision is...blurry? I hear every single sound acutely. Damn it's making my head pound. That's not new, but what is...my skin hurts...even my hair hurts. How can hair hurt? After I attend to business the nurse walks me back and I note rumpled sheets on a cot. The nurse tells me my son left early to get me good coffee. Coffffffeeeeee. Yeeeeesssss. I am never more thankful that my kids know me than in this moment. I mean REALLY know me. I've discovered it's rare for people to really know you deep down. This moment of pure appreciation is a blessing.

There is a terrible fear that reaches deep into the core of your being when you realize you cannot communicate with those around you. Your mind is alive and functioning normally...okay, as normal as you ever are...I mean, what's normal? I take a little pride in being weird - uniquely me. Anywho, I digress.

Through my flowery talk above I tried to weave a analogy of my experience at the hospital. I'm going to try and just hit the highlights for brevity's sake. Also, because the memories prior to leaving for the hospital are clearer than the experience at the hospital. Three years later, they are still a blur.

I ended my previous post overjoyed that my son was going to get me to an emergency room. Looking back, we both learned that we all need to have a plan B in place for those unexpected moments that take you for a joy ride. You'll understand what I mean....see lessons learned below.

<>

Sean came into the guest room after basically telling off his grandparents, grabbed my purse and got me to my feet. Next thing I knew my ex-husband, Jeff, put my arm over his shoulder...first time father and son did anything as a team in my presence. Mind you, I still couldn't walk or talk at this point. That did NOT mean my thoughts weren't running a hundred miles an hour.

First thought rolling around in my mind - What the...Sean forgot to put my damn shoes on! Oh my god, we seriously need to talk after this. Shoes! Hello, I need my damn shoes. God, and mom's biggest concern was that us kids had on clean underwear if we went to the emergency room...she's rolling over in her grave. Or laughing. I'm not sure which.

Dad, John is Jeff's step-dad, normally drives like a madman. This night...dear lord if I wasn't dying from a stroke he was going to kill us all. I had little control over my body and was sliding all over the back seat.

**Here I have to point out that when you suspect a loved one is having a stroke, you need to call 911 because the EMT's know exactly where to take you and can start care immediately. Here is a link to find a certified stroke center near you if an ambulance is not an option: http://www.strokecenter.org/trials/centers/ **

Back then, I had Anthem BCBS. Where did they take me? KAISER!!! I kept mumbling over and over,
FUCK no, fuck no....NO. Sean said he knew what I was trying to say and this is the closest hospital so just fucking deal with it mom. Calm down. I laughed at the absurdity of it all.

After being checked in and wheeled into a room with surgery strength lighting I had nurses and orderlies pulling, prodding, taking off my clothes, poking me with needles and asking me questions – ALL at once. Ever since my car accident I get overwhelmed by too much stimuli and various responses have happened and change over time. This night I couldn't talk to explain what was happening to me so I was freaking out. I could hear everything due to my hyperacusis ( sound filter in my brain no longer works so I hear EVERYTHING. The world is too loud), ALL of my senses were hyper aware. I tried to tell them, nothing came out that made any sense. The head nurse was a fucking bitch and Sean wasn't telling her that I couldn't talk...he was overwhelmed and didn't know what to say or do.

Every touch was too much, the lights were too bright, the sounds of the heart monitor beep, beep, beeping and the incessant voices too loud. All the talking people blurred into a cacophonous torture. And. Well. I lost it. I mumbled NO repeatedly, I squirmed away from the lady trying to take my blood and the other one trying to take off my clothes...at the same time. Head bitch got pissed and yelled at me to settle down and asked my son if I was on drugs. Oh, no you didn't!! You fucking bitch. My brother's were both addicts while I was growing up so I rarely even drink. I was offended and pissed.

Finally, Sean spoke up and told her that I have a brain injury and he believes I had or was having a stroke. Nurse bitch calmed down, sent everyone from the room, turned off the lights and returned awhile later with an attitude adjustment. Sean schooled me on needing to chill my roll. The look of imminent death shooting from my eyes relayed my feelings loud and clear.

I don't remember much after that moment, until the next morning. What I do remember is the Tele-Neurologist Doc asking me questions. From the TV, you could see he was lying on his sofa playing video games. He evaluated that I was having a stroke or an atypical migraine and wanted Sean to authorize me being treated with a drug called tPA in case it was a stroke.

**tPA or tissue plasminogen activator is the only FDA approved treatment for stroke. It works by dissolving a blood clot and improving blood flow to the part of the brain being deprived of blood flow. To be effective, tPA should be administered within 4 1/2 hours after the start of the stroke. I was beginning to run out of time for this potentially life saving drug to help me. But clot-dissolving drugs also carry risks. tPA can cause excessive bleeding - which can lead to death. The Neurologist asked Sean if I had any bleeding disorders. Sean said not that he knew of. Well shit. Yes. I do, but he doesn't know because I never told him. I can't have this IV treatment. In that moment I knew if the stroke didn't kill me, the IV treatment would. I started shaking my head no.

Fortunately, the doctor paid enough attention to see I was trying to communicate with him and had me blink to answer questions. I later learned from the cardiologist at home, after going over my history, that I would've died on the table if they had given me the tPA IV treatment. Someone was looking out for me. I believe in miracles. I've had enough things happen to reinforce that belief, this was another. I am eternally grateful.

Fast forward.....the next morning I was finally able to communicate verbally. Not like I normally do, but enough to be understood better than a silent mute. I had to beg the attending physician to release me because our flight home was the next day. He wanted more tests, but agreed to let me get them at home. He sat down and told me that after going over my history he believes I've been having TIA strokes or transient ischemic attacks since my car accident on top of the brain injury. There are new studies linking traumatic brain injury with TIA strokes and migraines. The studies are so new, the findings still aren't clear yet.

A transient ischemic attack (TIA) happens when blood flow to part of the brain is blocked or reduced , often by a blood clot. After a short time, blood flows again and the symptoms go away. With a stroke, the blood flow stays blocked, and the brain has permanent damage. However, this does not explain why I end up with deficits after each attack. Most of the progress I make, I'm sent back to step one. I've never followed the book, but it makes treatment difficult.

Upon my return home I had the arteries in my neck checked. They were perfect, thank you. Then they did a bubble EKG test. I failed. Turns out I have a hole in my heart and never knew it. The bubbles bi-passed my lungs and went straight through my heart to my brain. A patent foramen ovale (PFO) is a hole in the heart that didn't close the way it should after birth. During fetal development, a small flap-like opening — the foramen ovale (foh-RAY-mun oh-VAY-lee) — is normally present in the wall between the right and left upper chambers of the heart (atria). However, after birth when we start breathing air this hole or flap seals itself off. Or it is supposed to seal off. Typically there are no symptoms and it doesn't usually cause an issue. Most adults are diagnosed during routine exams.

According to the cardiologist, in the United States the treatment to close the hole is not FDA approved. He tells me, “Basically it means you'll have to have a full stroke before you'd be considered a candidate. You don't fit any of the normal risk factors for having a stroke, so it shouldn't be a problem. You have low blood pressure, your cholesterol levels are fine...you could stand to loose some weight (thank you, yes, I know), but otherwise your heart and arteries are healthy. Most people would be thrilled to know this. Why do you look upset?” Wait a minute....”Did I hear you correctly? That I have to wait to have a full stroke before they can seal my heart?” He nods. I really want to argue with him until I turn to my daughter and she just barely shakes her head in the negative. Fine. What about the Kaiser doctor's evaluation? “Well, you'll need to see a neurologist about that. I do know a brand new study came out, but it's not really in my field. What probably happened during your car accident was the impact caused a rush of blood into your brain. Maybe a tiny clot that cleared. Have your GP find a neurologist for you and I'll send my notes.” Gee. Thanks. I have a hole in my heart? And that's OK? Holy shit. The new cardiologist only reinforced my distaste for doctors. They really need to take more courses on interpersonal communication...or how to pretend you care 101.

Present Day: I still suffer from new deficits stemming from the TIA stroke or what the doctor diagnosed as an atypical migraine in my medical chart. I started therapy this January. I did not realize how many issues I deal with on a daily basis until the therapists tested me. I'll go over therapy and what they've found next time. It was an eye opener even for my son, whom I live with.  I am still not sure if I'm through the storm, in the eye or in the lull before the next one hits.  How I made it through, as the quotes says...I don't know, I don't remember and I am again....very much changed by the experience.  Hopefully for the better.

Lessons Learned:

  • Always make sure a loved one has a current copy of your health insurance card and photo ID. 
Apparently, while at the beach I left my wallet on a bench so I didn't have my insurance card for the hospital. Fortunately, the police called Sean and he went down to pick it up. Another miracle - nothing was stolen.
  • Keep either an electronic record or printed sheet listing your current medications and dosages. Keep a copy in your wallet, give one to your loved ones or email it to them to pull up if needed.
  • Create a medical history for yourself and give it to your kids or loved ones so if you can't speak, they can answer questions from a place of full disclosure on your part. I could've died from the clot busting IV treatment because I didn't think to tell my kids I was diagnosed with an unknown bleeding disorder before a hysterectomy when I was 29. They were so young, it never occurred to me to tell them.
  • Know your family medical history and pass it down.
  • Have a living will with medical power of attorney (Hmm, I still haven't done this.)
  • The topper – try your best to never have a stroke in front of an ex-spouse. On one level, I know I should not have felt embarrassed. On another, I was because I had no control over anything.  
My goal in writing this is for others to know what it's like to experience a TIA stroke.  My hope is that my experience can be of help to another.  Have questions?  Ask me.  I'm a rather open book.

Next time, I'll go over the 3 different therapies I am in now.  It's another eye opening experience for me and my family. Be well

Kristy

Comments

Popular Posts