Neurontin I'm on You (again dammit)

Reaching my pain threshold, which is higher than average, I've opted to start back on Neurontin. Taking any medication is not a light decision to make.  Anything we put into our bodies has side effects and we must accept a trade off of acceptable symptoms.  Right now the pain must go.  My hope is that when I see my new doctor at the end of May (soonest appointment 3 months out) new alternatives will be be available.

While I made the final decision to start my meds again, I did discuss it with my roommate.  The side effects of this medication change me in numerous ways and Jen deserved the right to put her two cents in.  I made her aware of the side effects below so she knew if something goes wrong with me...what signs/symptoms warrant a trip to the hospital.  The ultimate decision is our own, but I highly recommend discussing this with those close to you.

What is Neurontin?
Neurontin (generic name Gabapentin) is an anticonvulsant medication.  Traditionally used for epileptics it also has "off label" uses. In my case, it affects chemicals in the brain and nerves that cause pain.  While this medication does work very well at eliminating the constant pain in my head...let's take a look at the side effects so you understand why it's not a light decision. 

The LESS serious side effects MAY include:
  • dizziness, drowsiness, weakness, tired feeling;
  • lack of coordination,  unsteadiness, loss of balance; 
  • blurred or double vision;
  • nausea, vomiting, stomach pain, heartburn, loss of appetite, weight loss, weight gain;
  • diarrhea, constipation;
  • dry mouth;
  • runny or stuffy nose, sore throat, sneezing, cough, or flue-like symptoms, fever, ear pain;
  • headache, back or joint pain, unwanted eye movements,;
  • sleep problems (insomnia), unusual dreams, difficulty thinking or concentrating;
  • acne, mild skin rash.
  • uncontrollable shaking of a part of your body
  • anxiety, memory problems, strange or unusual thoughts
  • swelling of the hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs
  • red, itchy eyes (sometimes with swelling or discharge)
Some side effects may be serious. You need to call your doctor immediately if these symptoms arise:
  • rash
  • itching
  • swelling of the face, throat, tongue, lips, or eyes
  • hoarseness
  • difficulty swallowing or breathing
  • seizures
Other Warnings
You, your family, or your caregiver should call your doctor right away if you experience any of the following symptoms: panic attacks; agitation or restlessness; new or worsening irritability, anxiety, or depression; acting on dangerous impulses; difficulty falling or staying asleep; aggressive, angry, or violent behavior; mania (frenzied, abnormally excited mood); talking or thinking about wanting to hurt yourself or end your life; withdrawing from friends and family; preoccupation with death and dying; giving away prized possessions; or any other unusual changes in behavior or mood. 
____________________________________________

"LESS serious...MAY include" turns out to be 3/4 of the bullet items for my body.  Lucky me.   These are consequences that only now am I willing to accept.  

What's it feel like to be on Neurontin?
Sitting with my eyes closed I feel when this medication releases into my system.  A calming sensation floods every fiber of my being leaving in it's wake a soothing low vibration which seems to massage every cell in my body....which feels pretty darn nice.  Of that I will not complain.  I'm pretty chill sitting here.  My tongue, unfortunately feels like a cotton ball.  Sore, tight muscles released their tension. In a way it feels like I just had 4 glasses of wine or a couple beers...I don't really drink much anymore...control freak in me doesn't like the sensation so I'm not a fan of this fuzzy brain sensation.  (It's too similar to the first months after the accident)

Once I stand up the fun part begins.  Lack of coordination, loss of balance, unstable me on two legs. My roomy, Jen, has now nicknamed me "Drinky" while on this medication.  Trying to walk through a door frame...doesn't end well...I run into the frame then stumble like a drunk into the room.  Joy!  

When you're on a boat in the ocean the first hour or so you have to find your sea-legs where you can stay in balance through the waves rocking the boat..find your rhythm.  Until the magic moment when you're in balance...you feel like a Weeble Wobble.  Back on shore you get to go through the reverse process.  I don't find my rhythm on this medication.

My dog, Morgan, seems to know when I'm on Neurontin.  Normally she is a rug refusing to move when I need to walk where she lays...yet on the medication she not only moves...she does it in a hurry without me asking.  I wonder if she can feel the difference in my energy?  Huh.  I bet she can.

While this medication takes away the layers of pain in my brain it also has the tendency to turn me into a zombie at higher dosages.  This time I'm starting off at the beginning with one pill a day to see if I can find a balance between no pain and no zombie.  Wish me luck.  

Remember to seriously weigh the side effects of a medication vs the quality of life you wish to achieve.  

Kristy




Comments

Popular Posts