MTBI - Filling My Box of Tools

My artistic side
Adversity is like a strong wind.  
It tears away from us all but the things that cannot be torn, 
so that we see ourselves as we really are.  
~Arthur Golden

Adversity has torn away all things that could be torn from me.  What remains is the core of me, true friends and family that love me - even the dark side.  I feel like I've been purified, tempered through fire to bring me where I am right now. Right where I belong.

I am building a support team for forward progress in my MTBI recovery.  Yay!  Sean's focus is my healthcare.  Jennifer is helping me...eh..with pretty much everything else.  I am grateful beyond words to have such a good friend willing to walk by me on this journey.  They both make a huge difference in my life.

I've had this brand spanking new tool box waiting to be filled, but not a clue what to put inside.  By Sean and Jennifer observing where I falter, it's much easier to determine what will be of benefit.  Here are a few of the new tools in my box:

  1. Google Docs & Calendar - Sean suggested setting up a shared folder containing my medical history, list of meds, doctor appointments setup in the calendar, list of "To-do" items and whatever else comes along.  This way reminders can be set with the value plus benefit that he can monitor my "stuff" anywhere in the world to make sure I don't forget. (Which I did in December)  While this feels like it's slicing away my independence I realize the necessity and am happily setting this up with Sean.   http://www.google.com/google-d-s/documents/ 

  2. Android App Speak To It - Similar to Apple's Siri this app allows me to speak into my phone asking anything from "where am I now?" to "find a neurologist specializing in brain injury near my home" - and it's learning to answer my questions.  I am loving this app after just a few days.   http://www.speaktoit.com/

  3. Silver Sneakers Program - While I don't fit the "normal" member image (I'll be 43 next month) of this program, as a disability retiree from the state I qualify.  What does this mean?  Due to my special insurance coverage I get a basic membership to nearly all recreation centers, YMCA's, along with other participating fitness centers across the country.  Did I mention it's free?  FREE to me means I can swim indoors (outdoors over the summer), use the weight room, attend any drop in exercise classes offered including: yoga, Zumba, dance, on and on.  Exercise is what I need for mind, body spirit.  Orientation starts 03/01 - exciting stuff. http://www.silversneakers.com/  

The other tools are things that apply to my personal interests to build up my self confidence.  Jennifer has a 6 month old Jack Russel Terrier that needs training (I have dog training experience) so I'm working with Giovanni.  He now understands the command "Leave it", "out" and "stay"...for me anyway.  Jennifer also has a friend that professionally jumps horses.  Next month we're going to meet the horses.  Jennifer will start teaching me to knit for better hand eye coordination and re-learn how to follow a pattern. Oddly enough, the knitting is more frightening than working with 1500 lbs horses.  Numerous creative outlets are also being setup in her craft room and she has me assist her with multimedia presentations to see what I can still do and what needs work.  

This is what I call HELP.  I am blessed.  I am thankful.  It took not having my needs met, getting frustrated and nearly giving up to accept my friend's help.  Whew!  Now that I'm learning to lean on my true friends, I am receiving more than I anticipated.  Cheers to awesome friends that pull us through!

Kristy

Comments

Popular Posts