TBI - A Unique Human System/Cognitive Experience

Since I've found many of the current models of TBI recovery inadequate, this is my attempt to address my own recovery and hopefully point professionals in a new direction to better serve others in recovery.  While I am not a schooled research professional, I can speak to this issue from my individual perspective.  As a blend of I/ENFP this is the way I cognitively experience my world, how I relate to others, how I learn, how I cope, how I grow as an individual.  I was born this way and this is just one of many layers that make up my individuality.  I will address other layers and how I see them apply to my brain injury recovery process.

Speaking from my own brain injury experience and background I've often pondered the complexities of brain injury:  How we are effected, how we heal and how we cope differently.  While our brain might be commonly human and brain injury might be located in the exact location as hundreds of other medical cases, the resulting issues following brain injury are as unique as the individual. Because there are so many layers that make up individual human beings, I believe we cannot be expected to present, heal, recover or cope like anyone else.  Our treatment plans need to be tailored to encompass the individual as a Human Living System.

Looking at a human being through the lens of a Living System I believe the individual with a brain injury can be addressed as a whole being vs. fixing parts.  In System's Theory there are rules, set behaviors, and subsystems.  While this doesn't address everything it is to be human, it is an avenue I'm researching.

Simplistically, you can look at the Living System Theory as an If/Then (If this, Then do this) system of rules, behaviors and responses that is an innate program delivered fully intact at birth.  Naturally, our environmental influences play a role, but I'm not addressing those variables except from my personal Life.  Under the umbrella of the Human System the personality is where patterns and themes can be broken down into further components that directly effect our individuality.  This If/Then system gets disrupted in a brain injury.  The re-wiring that can alter the innate processes leading to a unique healing journey to wholeness.

My roommate is getting her Ed. D. and through her research for her dissertation has introduced me to Albert Bandura's theories in Social Cognitive Approach to Personality.  From what I've read so far, this seems like a promising avenue of research relating to brain injury.  This avenue is for another blog.

One way to look at the Personality subsystem of the human being as a Living System is through the psychological theories of Carl Jung.  Back in high school I took the Meyers-Briggs Type Indicator (MBTI) personality test based on Carl Jung's research.  My test resulted in a 4 letter me - INFP.  I recently found the results of this test and I was 100% INFP at 18 years old.  The test was administered again when I attended the Boulder College of Massage Therapy in 2008, 20 years later I border between an INFP and an ENFP.... Not much has changed.

My theory is that my personality type directly impacts my recovery from MTBI.  In my next posts I'll go through how this directly impacts my recovery.

Kristy


Comments

Popular Posts